Early morning two-alarm fire injures one firefighter

Saturday morning – April 18, 2020 by Kevin Dayhoff Westminster Fire Department PIO and Chaplain.

An early morning two-alarm fire in a commercial building in the 1000 block of Baltimore Blvd. – Rte 140, injured one firefighter. The first call came in to the Emergency Communications Center at 2:18 a.m., for a report smoke coming from the side of building and fire being observed.

Units from Reese and Westminster fire departments were first on the scene in a steady light rain – with Reese taking command. Upon arrival firefighters preliminarily found a fire perhaps coming from the basement of the one-story commercial building. The building is reported to be under renovation.

Perhaps as many as 50-75 firefighters responded from Carroll County and Baltimore County. The fire was determined to be under control at 3:57 a.m. Although units remained on scene until 5 a.m. for clean-up and the help the fire marshal’s investigation. Preliminary observations indicate extensive damage to the interior of the building.

Baltimore Gas and Electric, the Maryland State Police, and the State Highway Administration also responded.

One 45-year-old volunteer firefighter with 25-years’ experience was injured fighting the fire. He was transported to Shock Trauma.

According to a release by the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal, “A Reisterstown Volunteer Fire Company (firefighter) sustained minor injuries after falling through the floor.”

By mid-day on Saturday, the Reisterstown Fire Department released a statement on the department website that said, “The injured firefighter is home recovering from minor injuries. We would like to thank everyone who has reached out to check on the firefighter.”

In a phone interview later in the afternoon, Reisterstown Fire Chief Craig Hewitt said that the firefighter, “was released from Shock Trauma this morning after some tests and observation. He has returned home and is recuperating from minor injuries. He is in good spirits. He is expected to recover and be back to work soon.”

The fire remains under investigation by the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Reese fire department PIO Robin Stansbury contributed to this story.